How to install .cab files?

Moderator: Germes

How to install .cab files?

Postby juergen » 11 Oct 2012, 05:36

Hallo.

So there were a lot of programs that were only available as .cab files.
How do i install them since there were a lot of funcions (activesync or installing .cab files for example) disabled in the OS?
Any chance of getting a manual describing which WinCE functions were available or (even bettter) disabled?

Regards
Jürgen
juergen

Re: How to install .cab files?

Postby Chortenia » 11 Oct 2012, 10:14

Hello!

You can use *.cab files unpacker, for example, CAB_Extractor.

Describe your problem and what you want to do more profoundly, because we didn't completeley understand what you are talking about.

Best regards,
Car Solutions
Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Chortenia
CarSolutions Team

Car: Chery Kimo

Postby juergen » 12 Oct 2012, 04:22

Hallo,
Ok, so how do i install the current .cab version of navit? (http://download.navit-project.org/navit ... urrent.cab).
I know, this is available as an unpacked version, but other software isn't (and navit can be shared without copyright violation).
As the .cab structure is always similar, containing an .xml file and lots of, in its fileextension sequentially numbered, other files. The real filename and its corresponding (sub-) folder is stored in the .xml file. So this file must be interpreted somehow (by the install routine inside WinCE?).

Only extracting the .cab file makes no usable sense, beacuse, just to keep it with navit, it cntains bnearly 1,000 files which i did not want to reorganize by hand.

Navitel is similar to this (http://www.navitel.su/en/downloads/) but is also available as an activesync installer, which is also useless, because of disabled activesync and it only installs a .cab file on the CE machine, resulting in the above descibed .cab problem... :(

Jürgen
juergen

Postby Chortenia » 12 Oct 2012, 10:48

Hello!
We deliberately deactivated Active Sync and .cab files installation in CS 9100/9200 because people just damaged their devices by installing programs and consequently incorrectly deleting them. We are not going to activate this function.
navit has unpacked version specially for installation on such devices as CS 9100/9200 and works well on them.
Navitel has another position. They don't distribute versions for WinCE directly but assemble it for specific device for the manufacturers.

Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Chortenia
CarSolutions Team

Postby juergen » 12 Oct 2012, 15:14

As written in my former post, navit/navitel was only an example. But this matters for any other .cab fiel as well.

damaged their devices by installing programs and consequently incorrectly deleting them

So why not providing the ability to install and uninstall them?

Any other wince device i know has a 'restore to factory defaults' function...

Activesync is not essential, because of the posibility of storing it on sdcard, but the instalation of programs is.

So the only chance i have is selling it on ebay or making my own wince version. :(

Any chance of getting a manual describing which WinCE functions were available or (even bettter) disabled?

So i am at this point again...
juergen

Postby Chortenia » 12 Oct 2012, 16:03

Sorry but we will not change our position. Active Sync and installation of *.cab files will still be unavailable.

Unfortunately, we don't have such manual.

Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Chortenia
CarSolutions Team

Postby juergen » 12 Oct 2012, 22:25

Chortenia wrote:Sorry but we will not change our position. Active Sync and installation of *.cab files will still be unavailable.

Ok. You are the manufactorer/dsigner/seller and are free to to do that.
But this information should be available before buying this item.
juergen

Postby Chortenia » 15 Oct 2012, 09:56

Hello!
Thank you for your opinion. We will take it into account.

Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Best regards,
Car Solutions Team
Chortenia
CarSolutions Team

Return to CS9100 Navigation Box